Wednesday, July 3, 2013

MBTA

I left for work about 14 hours ago. 

I met Megan for dinner and then had a meeting with Virginia. I went to Ruggles to catch a bus to Kenmore to then catch a bus home. Heaven forbid any busses go from Ruggles to my apartment. 

I arrived at the station at 640pm. After asking the rude MBTA employee which bus to take to Kenmore, he answered without making eye contact. I thanked him anyway. 

I stood for a half hour, then decided to sit. After 10 more miserable minutes, in which time a large and in charge family sat down next to me and complained about how long the 8 (the bus I'd get on) was taking, it finally came. I tapped my card and sat down towards the middle. They took the handicapped and front seats. 

I had my headphones in, but I saw an altercation about to occur between the main woman and the bus driver. I turned down my music. She was complaining about the price of the subway. Complaining that it was $2 and had always been $1.50 and she wanted her $0.50 back. The driver tried to explain that it had been $2 for a very long time. Mind you, still talking about the subway. While sitting on a bus. 

5 minutes of them arguing later, we pull away. It is now 7:30. We start pulling away. I'm so happy. Then the driver pulls over so he can tell a Transportation Police Officer what the woman was saying. They talk about it. She finally shuts up. 

I watch the family get off. Three stops later. At a stop that would have taken 20 minutes to walk to. We finally arrive at Kenmore and I switch busses to the 57. 

If only this was a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. This happens CONSTANTLY. and I'm fucking sorry if you don't like how much the subway or the bus or anything else is, but SHUT TUE FUCK UP AND SIT DOWN. Like Christ forbid you have a shred of decency for anyone who is trying to get home. 

There are a few things that really Pisa me off about MBTA/People of the MBTA. 

1. If you are a well-bodied man, give a woman a fucking seat. Guess what? We wear heels. Every day. For 8+ hours. I don't give a rat's ass if you worked a hard day. You are a man. I am a woman. "Chivalry is dead and women killed it" is a load of bullshit. Wanting to have jobs and be able to have abortions is not a cry for men to stop treating us nicely. My great aunt had a job and paid her bills, but would not go through a door unless a man opened it for her. And she was married until the day her husband died. 

So I don't care if you want to read your newspaper or play angry birds. Women should at least have the option to be able to sit down. 

And women, if an elderly person or disabled person gets on, offer your fucking seat. 

2. People who talk on their phone. Just shut the fuck up and text like everyone else. Christ. 

3. This clusterfuck I'm watching right now. Two strollers. One is in the fucking way but the mom won't move the damn thing so the other can get by. It's bad enough that you brought a stroller onto public transit, the least you can do is move so the other dickhole who brought their stroller can get on. 

4. People who smell like ass. Take a shower. Lysol yourself. Pour Clorox on your clothes. I don't really care. Just stop making my area smell like your three week old BO. Or, the people who smoke at the T stop and get on right after putting out their cigarette. Those people are terrible. 

/end rant

No comments:

Post a Comment